How Do I Donate?

All of the items in the collection have been donated. SCHRC does not buy collection items. The items in the collection, for the most part, are documents not collected by any government organization.

There are three ways to donate as outlined below.

  • Stop in during business hours and talk to any staff member.
  • Contact us to make an appointment to drop off your donation.
  • Mail or email your donation to SCHRC. Please make sure you include contact information and as much background (provenance) on the donation as possible.

Original or Copy?

You may donate original items or copies of originals if you’re not ready to part with the real thing. We’re in the information business – it’s the data on the paper that’s important.

Digital or Hard Copies?

We prefer hard copy of collection materials because they’re easier for most researchers to use, but digital files will work if they are from commonly used software. ​​

Will You Buy My Collection?

SCHRC does not buy items for its collection. There is no money in the budget for acquisitions. Everything in the archive has been donated to SCHRC through the kindness of people concerned with preserving Sheboygan County history.

A Codicil is a document that you should sign and attach to your collections. Make sure you give a copy to your children or executor, attorney and the Historical Research Center. It helps you ensure that your years of research are protected.​

Pictures, Maps, Slides, Genealogies, Books, Etc.

Through the generosity of families, businesses and organizations in our county, we have amassed a storehouse of valuable information in the form of pictures, maps, slides, genealogies, books, government records, and more.

Donations Treated With Respect

Every donation is professionally handled and cared for by our staff, volunteers and interns who understand the importance of the information. Everything donated is available for use by researchers.​

What Items Can I Donate?

Any type of record, photo, news article or book dealing with the county and surrounding areas (especially southern Manitowoc County, Calumet County, eastern Fond du Lac County and northern Ozaukee County) is appropriate to donate.